Joining Indian Armed Forces usually seems like a fervent thought but if closely observed, it is a fruitful career choice where a person can live a reverent life, earn a handsome income and spend a lifetime serving his nation with all the pride, all at once. CDS is a gateway to such a glorious life. Combined Defence Services (CDS) is an examination under UPSC which is taken by graduate level students to get into Indian Army/Navy/Airforce as Officers.
LA Militaire Academy offers coaching for the UPSC CDS/OTA written examinations. The faculty at LMA is highly qualified and vastly experienced in effectively coaching students for CDS/OTA examinations. The standards of excellence followed by LMA ensure that each student who opts for coaching with us feels confident and well prepared for the exam. Not only do we cover the entire syllabus subject by subject as per UPSC, we also prepare our students with mock tests, previous year question papers and doubt clearing sessions.
The CDS Written Examination is conducted by UPSC twice every year for graduates to fill the vacancies of the following institutions of the Indian Armed Forces.
• Indian Military Academy (IMA) ; Dehradun
• Indian Naval Academy; Ezhimala
• Air Force Academy; Hyderabad
• Officers Training Academy (OTA); Chennai. For both Men and Women
The Notification for the CDS written exam is issued in November and July. UPSC conducts the exam in the months of Feb and October. Students can apply for the CDS and OTA written examination online only on UPSC website.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR CDS WRITTEN EXAMINATION
Educational Graduates: qualified or appearing in final year, are eligible to sit for CDS written exam. Air Force and Navy candidates must have an engineering backdrop or must have physics and mathematics as subjects in graduation. For more details, you can check the notification on the official website of UPSC. For OTA, the educational eligibility remains same i.e. Graduates as well as final year students can apply but having mathematics and physics as subjects is not mandatory.
Age: 20 to 24 years on the date of joining IMA/INA/AFA. For OTA, age must be between 20 to 25 years on the date of joining.
Gender: Only male candidates can sit for the CDS written exam. Both ladies and men can apply for OTA exam. Genders apart from Males and Females are not allowed to apply for the exam.
EXAM PATTERN FOR CDS/OTA WRITTEN EXAMINATION
The CDS written exam comprises of three parts:
• General Knowledge – 100 Marks
• English – 100 Marks
• Mathematics – 100 Marks
The OTA written exam comprises of only two of the above-mentioned papers:
• General Knowledge – 100 Marks
• English – 100 Marks
OTA Candidates are exempted from taking Mathematics exam. The remaining two papers of OTA written exam are of 100 marks each and the total of the OTA written exam is of 200 marks.
SYLLABUS FOR CDS/OTA WRITTEN EXAMINATION
The CDS written exam tests the candidates in diverse fields like English, History, Polity, Economics, Geography, Maths, Life Science, Physics, Chemistry, Current Affairs, GK, etc. For OTA exam, syllabus is the same as CDS except that OTA candidates don’t have to take mathematics paper.
RESULTS OF CDS/OTA EXAMINATION
UPSC declares the result of CDS/OTA written exam in 3-4 months after the written exam. The results can be viewed on the official website of UPSC. As CDS is a competitive exam and there is no fixed cut off percentage for passing, the candidates who perform better receive call letters for SSB interviews. After that, the process of SSB Interviews is done and final merit list is prepared after the final result of SSB interviews. This merit list is displayed on the UPSC website. Joining instructions are sent to students based on vacancies available as per the merit list.
As a premier institute in CDS coaching, we believe that our six traits are our hallmarks of strength:
1. Conceptual Coverage of Syllabus: At LA Militaire Academy, we follow the ideology that the syllabus for the exam must be conceptually explained to each and every student to be followed with revisions in form of test series and question bank practice. The combined team work from us and the student makes it easier for the student in the last days.
2. Practice to perfection: As observed Practice is the key to confidence and perfection, we believe that as the pragmatic truth. Lot of Mock tests conducted offline (in the institute) as well as online (on our e-portal) in addition to previous years’ paper practice sessions conducted every now and then so that the students develop a vision about the types of questions to be asked in the finals.
3. Doubt-Clearing: We believe in the ideology that “If a student doesn’t have doubts, he’s most probably doing it the wrong way”. We are committed to clear every topic during the classroom session but sometimes the student doesn’t grasp the roots of the concept. These sessions are conducted to make sure the student is understanding each and every concept effectively and not just cramming it. In addition to that, the students at our academy are encouraged to maintain an error log so that they can keep a track of their mistakes and don’t repeat them in future.
4. Weekly tests and Assessment: Regular tests are held at LA Militaire Academy on Saturdays and the results are announced on Mondays. The scores of these tests are under the scrutiny of our valuable faculty so that proper assessment of students is done. We ensure that the graph of these tests is always on the rise.
5. High-end study material: The study material of LA Militaire Academy is one of the most relevant study materials. It is prepared by the wizards of this sphere and the elite material has been prepared such that students can grasp even the most onerous concepts with utmost ease.
6. Shortcuts Methods and Time Management Techniques: Our classroom sessions prioritize time management in all aspects. Proper methodologies are enlisted in our study materials which aids our students to manage the time in a competent way.